Breast Structure and Function
- Breasts are primarily fat and breast tissue.
- Breast tissue is a complex network of lobules, lobes and ducts
- The main function is breastfeeding
- Many breast changes occur over a woman’s life
What is Breast Cancer?
- Breast cancer is a disease where cells in the breast tissue divide and grow without normal control
- Breast cancers occur as a result of a gene mutation.
- Most breast cancers are spontaneous gene mutations.
- Only 5-10 percent are due to inherited gene mutations.
- There are many inherited genes related to breast cancer the most famous (BRCA1 BRCA2)
Stages of Breast Cancer – Worldwide
- Breast Cancer is the leading cancer among women worldwide. 2,088,849 women were diagnosed with breast cancer in 2018.
- 626,679 is Breast Cancer death rate among women worldwide in 2018.
- Worldwide, one women is diagnosed with breast cancer every 15 seconds.
- Worldwide, one women dies of breast cancer every 50 seconds.
Breast Cancer Facts and Statistics – Abu Dhabi 2016
- Breast cancer usually targets women, accounting for %16.6 of all cancers among women and 32% of cancers affecting women in the Emirate of Abu Dhabi according to 2016 statistics.
- Breast cancer is the first leading cause of death in women in the Emirate of Abu Dhabi in 2016. 12.1%